Friday, October 12, 2012

☩DIY☩ Bead Loom Bracelet

Things you need for this DIY:
✝ a small box (a tissue box works really well)
✝ a craft knife
✝ a ruler
✝ thread
✝ a beading needle or beading wire
✝ seed beads

Total time:
15 mins for the loom
45 mins-1.5 hours for the bracelet

I feel like I'm at camp again.



First remove the plastic. Then, using the hole as your guide, remove the top of the box along the longer sides, leaving behind the top along the shorter sides.



Snip the sides of the remaining box top.



Fold down.



Using a ruler, cut slits along the edge, every 1/16 of an inch.



Repeat on the other side.



You have your loom! It's not the prettiest thing I've ever made, but it works really well.



Onto bracelet making:



Get out your beading needle (a very thin needle) or make one using a piece of beading wire (very thin wire) folded in half and twisted at the end.



Take a long piece of thread (2-3 feet depending on how long/wide you want your bracelet) and tie a bead close to one end. This will be your stop bead, it will hold your thread in place.



Put the same number of beads on your thread as there are spaces on your loom.



Holding the beads underneath the loom threads, pop each bead into a space and hold them there.



Then, go back through the beads OVER the threads. Be careful not to go through your stop bead.



Pull it taught and repeat...



...like a lot of times.



Remove your stop bead and tie off the ends. Done! These bracelets take about the same amount of time as woven friendship bracelets but have the added advantage of not needing a pattern.

14 comments:

  1. This looks easy enough to try out! I will add it to my list of DIY things from your site I plan on tackling haha

    Ive been a follower of your blog for some time now and am wondering if you had a blog button I could post on my blog?

    Cheers,
    xx Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bracelets look really amazing! I think they are probably not as easy to make as it looks like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Nice blog!! I'm your new Follower! I hope you can visit mine sometimes. Thank you so much! :)

    Kisses from VV!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quedan preciosas las pulseras, muy bellas.
    Sigue mi blog

    http://lornea.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you tell me what size of seed beads to use? I would love to try and make these!!
    Thank you!
    dawnt1109@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dawn, I think they are either 10/0 or 8/0 but I'm not totally sure, I've had them for awhile. It doesn't matter what size you use as long as you keep the size consistant throughout the bracelet. Good luck!!

      Delete
  6. You seriously have so much talent!
    Despite of loveasthetics and pair&spare you are my favourite diy blogger EVER!!
    Will ry to copy as much as I can

    Katarina from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, for those of you who have never used a loom, I would STRONGLY recommend that you invest a few dollars in a real one. You can get them in a kit that has a needle or two and some practice beads as well as a starter card of beading thread for $10 or less. I do a LOT of looming, and there is no way I would even attempt to do it with a cardboard box because I simply cannot get enough tension for a decent product.

    I never use beading thread, either. I learned long ago that dental floss works beautifully, is easy to thread through a regular sharps needle, and lasts far longer. On top of that, it requires very little stretching as compared to regular beading thread.

    To achieve a nice end look, taper your ends down two beads a row (one on each side of the row) until you are down to one bead, and weave your threads back into your work. Apply a bit of clear nail polish to give it a bit more stability and keep the ends tucked in. Then finish off with a Charlotte tip, a cone, or a flat finishing end for a more pulled together look.

    All that being said, if the two pieces shown were made on a tissue box loom, my hat is off to the maker because despite my many years of looming I would not be able to produce something done that nicely with a box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what is a Charlotte tip? what is a flat finishing end? i definitely would like to have some kind of closure for these bracelets that is attractive and not just strings tied together.

      Delete
  8. Sorry it took me so long to answer...things have been a bit chaotic around here LOL. Who am I kidding, chaos is my middle name! Any way......

    Here is a link to Charlotte tips. There is a hole in the "hinge" where you can put your thread through and then tie off, crimp the clamshell halves over the knot, and then trim the thread off. I usually daub a bit of clear nail polish over the knot before crimping just for good measure.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/150Pcs-Charlotte-End-Crimp-Bead-Tip-Gold-Silver-Bronze-etc-4x7mm-S133-/280921640101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item41683c0ca5

    Flat ends are also known as Ribbon Ends, and here is a link to those and cord ends as well:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cord-Ends-and-Ribbon-Ends-Crimp-Ends-in-Silver-Gold-Bronze-Copper-Black-/110966271373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19d61aed8d

    It's just a matter of personal taste, but IMO these give almost any piece a more finished and neater look. As for the cone ends, you can google them or look on Ebay, but I've also used bead caps in a pinch. Just tie your end threads around an eye pin, run it through a thin bead cap, crimp the bead cap down to cover the knot, and make a loop on the straight end of the eye pin to connect to your clasp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Incredibly clear and well explained. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the clear instructions and I love that you used a Kleenex box! Love to have you come link up with us @costours

    ReplyDelete