Monday, September 10, 2012

☩DIY☩ 30 Minute Tote

Things you need for this DIY:
 faux leather with a decent looking lining
✝ a sewing machine
✝ scissors
✝ a writing utensil (I used a soft pencil so it would be easy to see in the photos, you might want to use something lighter)

Total time:
30 minutes


So easy kids!



Using faux leather for this is important. Real leather is soft and will stretch over time. You can do it but the bag would need an internal structure to strengthen it.



Start by drawing a rectangle 15"X20". Then make two lines 6" and 8" from the top. On the 8" line mark the middle. On the 6" line mark 5" from each side and on the top mark 2" from each side.



Connect the dots, then round the edges.



Measure 2" in both directions from the bottom corners. Round.



Draw a 1/2" seam allowance all the way around and cut out the pattern leaving behind the sections like above. Use the the piece of leather as a template for the second piece.



Now here's where it can get tricky. I didn't want to pin the two sides together because it would damage the material, so I just held the two pieces together very tightly while I sewed. If you are super careful, this isn't that hard but if you are a little shaky on the sewing machine, you can use double sided tape to keep them in place.



Done!

7 comments:

  1. I have to say how much I love this simple tote. It also could be done using other fabrics or would faux leather be the strongest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! It would have to be a really sturdy fabric that doesn't fray. If you had to hem it it would definitely take longer than 30 mins!

      Delete
  2. mmmm lovely. thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    amen fashion xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey
    i have a givway on my blog if u wanna enter ., please visit my blog :) thank you !
    Wow' that bag is so cool
    i also have some DIY on my blog, u can check that on my blog too

    ReplyDelete
  4. can this be done using canvas? super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the idea. very much comfortably !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I've given you some link love at http://lipstickandawhitetee.blogspot.com/2012/12/favorite-diys-from-2012.html, since this DIY was one of my Top 10 DIYs from other bloggers :) will have to make this tote!

    J

    ReplyDelete