Monday, May 7, 2012

☩DIY☩ No Sew Leather Paper Bag Clutch

Things you need for this DIY:
✝ leather (mine was vegan)
✝ a pencil
✝ scissors
✝ a ruler
✝ glue (I used epoxy but I bet hot glue would be much faster)
✝ nail polish
✝ snaps, gold paint (optional)


Total time:
1 hour


Total cost:
$5 for one yard of faux leather

For those of you who read my old blog, you know that this DIY is WAY overdue.


First, cut your piece of leather to 12.25"X30". Then, using the ruler, section the piece of leather with the dimensions above.

Note: If this is too tricky, grab a paper gift bag, take it apart and use it like a cheat sheet.


Fold the piece of leather so that the 2" section over laps the first two inches of the 9" section, making an inside-out loop.

Glue.

Turn right-side out. Then using the lines as a guide, fold the bottom of the bag like it's a Christmas present.


Glue.


I added snaps on the sides to help it keep it's shape, but it's not necessary. 


I used the nail polish to finish the edge...hot pink...cause why not...


I wanted my bag to be a little shiny so I rubbed some gold paint on it with a paper towel. Again, totally optional.

Have a party!

14 comments:

  1. super fun! i wish i had the patience to try more fun diy's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this WAS a paper bag when I first saw the picture. What a fun bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool. Love that you worked out the pattern and made it no sew. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i did this but i think my materials were wrong T.T
    What kind of leather did you use? Mine won't hold the shape...any suggestions?
    GREAT tutorial btw, so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i have to try this! great post and blog. Im a big fan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried this, and I think you have the dimensions on the diagram wrong. I'm pretty sure the total length should be 15.5" instead of 12.25. That way, the 12.25 plus the 3.25 equals 15.5 in total. The one I made based on the dimensions shown is too short. It doesn't really look like an actual paper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get your leather? I've been looking everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, you could trim the top lightly with pinking shears and put a little crescent in the middle...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!
    Great tutorial!
    XO from Spain
    Liliana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good lord I'm old. I remember when these were popular in the stores.

    ReplyDelete