Tuesday, May 1, 2012

☩DIY☩ 7 For All Mankind Carlie Ikat Shorts

Things you need for this DIY:
✝ Shorts
✝ a fountain pen
✝ bleach


Total time:
2 hours + drying time


Total cost:
free



I'm really glad I found something to do with these salmon colored jeans. They were a little much.


It's a little sketchy to put bleach in a shot glass...don't do this around anyone who loves tequila. I can't stress enough how important it is to do this DIY outside. I did mine in my studio which is set up with great ventilation because of all the metal sanding and soldering I do, but by the end I wished I had done it outside. Don't huff bleach fumes for fashion. It's not worth it!


This couldn't be easier, just paint alternating squiggly chevrons on the shorts with the bleach. I tried to keep it as close to the original design as possible but mine bled a little more than I wanted it to.

Here's a look inside.

Let the bleach dry completely, then rinse. I have never had problems putting bleachy clothes in the washing machine but to be on the safe side I rinsed these in the tub.

Have a party!

13 comments:

  1. Sheesh, I love your work. I keep reading and you just keep getting better. And now I want to bleach my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so trying it with a tshirt today! Yours turned out fabulous!!
    http://miprimeramaquinadecoser.blogspot.com.es
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. super impressed! love it! hope you survived the bleach :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks fantastic!!! x

    www.operationoverhaul.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing!I seriously like them even BETTER than the original inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing, hope you're having a great day!
    xo Hannah
    thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com
    thebraidedbandit.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of putting bleach in a fountain pen! Your shorts turned out amazing.


    http://prudenceandaustere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the hint. Will do it ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea and I would like to do it to an old pair of shorts. I have a question, I have never used a fountain pen before, where would you recommend purchasing one at? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this project! I included it in last week's Link Love Chevron Roundup on FaveCraftsBlog:
    http://www.favecraftsblog.com/link-love-chevron-patterns/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some really great creative DIY ideas and inspiration on your blog!
    I think you would like my website http://www.amazine.com
    You can create your own collages of your DIY’s or thoughts!
    See an example of Laurens here: http://www.amazine.com/story/400855
    Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before I realized which were 7's and which were yours, I thought .... Oooo I like these with the cuffs! Nice.

    ReplyDelete