Sunday, April 22, 2012

☩DIY☩ Wedding Invitations

So this isn't really a tutorial. It's more like a photo diary of all the steps we went through making our invitations. It was definitely more work than having them made, but it was something Rubin and I got to do together. Plus, I enjoy putting in personal touches where I can and at $250, you can't beat the price.

Things we used for this DIY:
❤ a letterpress kit
❤ letterpress paper & ink
❤ a customized letterpress plate (I designed ours in photoshop)
❤ a typewriter
❤ a custom stamp (a replica of text from our typewriter) & ink
❤ a ruler
❤ an x-acto knife
❤ stamps

Total Time:
about three days

Total cost:
$250


Please excuse my messy office...



The first step was cutting the paper to size.



It took awhile.



For the back of the invitations, we typed up what we wanted the invitation to say using our typewriter and had a stamp made from the sample so we could use the typewriter to add in the names.



The typewriter belonged to Rubin's late grandmother.



Rubin was in charge of all the typing.



I was in charge of all the letterpressing. Here is the plate.



I cut out the center and printed that first.



Then the sea fan in black.



We used the typewriter to address all the envelopes.



We had a bunch of vintage stamps and used them for postage which looked really nice. I think you can buy vintage stamps on Etsy.



Standing at the mailbox.

2 comments:

  1. first time I saw this - obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ren! How lovely this wedding invitations! Love it you share it!
    I'm a jewelry designer as well and I love making things. I'm obsessed with handmade and I'm getting married and so I was thinking of our invitations and I already have made a prototype for it though seeing this is lovely too!
    I have a blog as well
    http://blog.larissalandinez.com/

    cheers!
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete