Friday, April 6, 2012

☩DIY☩ String Garden

Things you need for this DIY:
✝ a plant
moss (non-aquatic)
✝ scissors
✝ black/brown thread
✝ string
✝ a little water
✝ newspaper 
✝ gloves (optional)


Total time:
30 mins


Total cost:
$5 ish for the moss if you don't have any in your backyard.

Plants growing out of balls of dirt, what's not to like?


This can get messy, so give yourself room.

I bought the moss on ebay from a woman that collects it near her house. If you can find it yourself, you get extra points.

Remove the plant from it's pot. The roots might look like worms, don't let this deter you.

 Sprinkle a little water into the dirt and mush into a ball.

This is not an exact science.

Once the dirt is in a ball-like shape, wrap it with your dark colored thread. I wrapped horizontally at first then worked my way vertically so the bottom was supported with thread.

Once your ball is secure, cover it with moss.

Wrap with string, making sure to leave two long pieces on either side of your ball.


Find a good spot and hang it up. Moss doesn't like direct light so I hung it mine in the bathroom window. Caring for this guy is pretty easy. Just spritz with a spray bottle every other day and soak in a bowl for 20 mins twice a week.

Have a party!

5 comments:

  1. So cute ! Aren't you afraid they'll be dirt all over your floor every day though?!

    What kind of plant did you put in the ball? Maybe I'll do it with some flowers.

    Anyways, GREAT idea!

    xo Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky! The roots and moss hold it together really well. For the first few days I had some shedding but after that, there has been no mess. I've had this one and others for a few months now and I love them! The plant I used is just a common creeping vine, pothos I think. I also have one with bamboo and one with flowers which I will be posting soon. They are a little high maintenance but well worth the trouble. Good luck!!

    <3
    Ren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do this!
    THANK YOU!!!
    --Jaclyn T
    Giveaway for TrickArt Jewellery on the blog:
    http://positiveponderings.blogspot.ca/2012/04/semesters-donelets-celebrate-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is fun! great photos of the process...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see how you did this with bamboo. My boyfriend gave me the lucky plant in an unattractive ceramic pot- it needs to be reimagined asap!

    ReplyDelete